August 10, 2008

Float on



I feel very uninspired this week. I am feeling the effects of the Comic Con trip on my bank account. I have not felt the same since I have been back, I was on such a high two weeks ago that I think this type of lull was to have been expected.

The majority of my week was spent at work. Not too much going on. I am living off of eggs, bread and bologna. A few times I splurged and ate a bagel in the morning and a topping of cream cheese. So with this I started to think about the strategy I was employing throughout July, which was to hit up bars and such four days a week. That really did not get me anywhere except broke. I have decided to go out less maybe twice in a week but have those times be more impactful. Fast forward to Saturday.

My friend John came over to watch the Dodger game, we hang out for the duration of the game and had been talking about not wanting to go out that night. As we were talking he was telling me that he has the same problem that I always had, which is what the hell do I do when I talk to a girl? What do I say to keep her interested? How do I determine if she is attracted to me? These problems I am finding through talking to a lot of guys, is very common. I really thought I was a rare case. Hearing him talk about that stuff really made me think about the Con and I told him stories of it. He showed me a really cool site couchsurfing.com, which is a site that you put a profile up and it is for people that travel around and need a place to crash. He walked me through the site a little bit and of course I wanted to see what type of talent was on the site. I will say this, John showed two French chicks that will be staying at his place and I now have my own profile. So we were both motivated to go to our favorite place Murio’s.

I basically pump him up and give him a few simple tips that worked for me. We have a beer and hang out just checking it out. That place is very hit or miss with the amount of people that are there on a night to night basis. Because of that it make it my spot, I never feel any pressure when I go there, if there are people there that night it’s usually easy to talk to people. So we are standing and we notice these two chicks that are at the bar. One I found very attractive the other not so much. John and I looked at each other and we knew it was on.

We walk up to them while they are sitting at the bar, at that time there were no seats available at the bar. I looked at one of the chicks and she had a dog with her which I thought was odd, but hey once you live in San Francisco you will find out really quick that you come across shit like that all of the time. People that live here have to be a different breed. Either you do off the cuff stuff or you get some sort of enjoyment out of seeing people do off the cuff stuff. John, makes eye contact with “Blondie” and she hands him her dog as she walks to the bathroom. Well ‘walks to the bathroom’ I use very loosely, it was more of a stumble crawl. I close my eyes and I decided at that point in time that I could make no further moves on her. John looked at me and asked if I saw anything wrong with her and I told him that I think she is way too drunk and possibly on some kind of drug(s). Her friend did not seem as wasted. A seat at the bar right next to her opened up so John and I were very quick to fill those seats.

I break the ice and hand it over to John, I was not too interested in the friend so I figured I could just be there to back him up. Within minutes he had her phone number, made plans to hang out with her. She wanted me to give her guitar lessons, I was not into that but I played it like I was for John. It wasn’t too long that guys who are vultures started swooping in for the drunk friend. I mean every guy that was not with a girl already was all over her. Looking at this I felt really good about myself for not going for it.

So this song and dance goes on for like 30 minutes, John is pumped up because he got a number. She was showing signs of affection by hugging him constantly. I go outside for a smoke and when I come back in John now has his hand on her leg. I am thinking cool he is in. She goes into the bathroom and it turns out they just moved here and cannot move into their place until August 20th, so we thought it would be a good idea to offer them a place to stay for the night at John’s. Her drunk friend is being occupied by some guy that says he is Italian, but I think he had about the fakest accent I have ever heard.

So Italian guy is all over Blondie and I usually always find it more fun to over hear people’s conversations. This was not an exception. He is in some old garage sale jeans and a beat up leather jacket, cell phone most likely ten years old. I have not seen a cell phone that big since the last time I saw Saved By The Bell. I will have to give this guy credit though, I mean a sober chick would have been repulsed by him. Hell, I am not into guys and I was repulsed by him. Turns out he has a very high level job, working at two different restaurants. Now I used to work at a restaurant and I know if you have a management level job, that is the only restaurant that you work at. It is very demanding and you would not have time to work at another. Now if you are a server or buss boy then yes you can successfully work at two different restaurants. This guy is no server. Then he starts in with the band that he is trying to get back together. Really, I can’t believe that a person would be pulling this type of shit but I am glad that he did because I was very amused.

While I am watching that all go down, the friend had been wondering around the bar and was talking with a dude with long hair. John was getting slightly annoyed by this, but I tried to keep his mind in the right place. The right frame of mind is “who cares.” I mean seriously, he pulled the phone number, they were touching each other all over it was time for him to show a little confidence like that did not bother him. He thought it would be best to break in and talk to her a little bit more. He talks to her for less than a minute and comes back, he thinks it’s all good and I agree with him. No sooner then he is back sitting down that she opens up the faucet to her stomach and vomits all over the bar for like a full minute. It was truly remarkable to see that amount of shit come out of another persons mouth. The bar tender Nick, was no as happy as I was to see that. I helped him clean up and told John to go outside with her.

Turns out that Italian guy went out there too and put them into a cab. To where is the question because they had been in the city for like 10 hours and had no place to stay. Where could he have had them taken to? The whole thing was just off in my mind. After he was bragging outside that he made a lunch date with Blondie, as if she was going to remember the events of that night other then not knowing where they were when they woke up. This was a topic that John and I talked about for the rest of the night. But hey, what the fuck can I do about it?

After the girls were shoved into a cab John and I left to check a few other places. Nothing going on around us so we called it a night. I get home and the drama begins. Turns out John had known that my room mates ex boyfriend was cheating on her and did not tell her anything. She found out from another party, even turns out the guy that told her does these types of things just to make people as miserable as he is. To be fair to John, as far as I can tell he found out after they had broken up. They have been friends for over ten years. So my room mate was very upset last night, if you want confirmation talk to Liz, she was on the phone with me when this happened. This brings a question into my mind, what do we as friends have an obligation to tell?

For me as a person that is finding out small parts of the equation over last night and today. I would say that John did not want to say anything because he found out after the fact and telling my room mate would have brought her extra harm. Or was he just covering for one of his boys? I don’t know. I know I would probably have a hard time telling one of my friends about something like that. It would be awkward to say the least for both of us. But I think at the end of the day I would value my friend enough to inform them of something like that.

The Olympics are so fucking good. I am all over women’s diving, volleyball and basically anything with chicks in it.

This coming week will be big for me. I might get a promotion to Sales Rep, which would mean I would become the enemy.


I am pretty much done with online dating sites. I am finding the people on them to be the biggest fakes. They hide behind the fact that there is no one on one interactions. They put the most flattering pictures and in some cases very old pictures where they looked 50 lbs lighter. They over exaggerate their personalities as well. For me what you see is what you get. I always have a very hard time with those sites because I never know how to describe myself. Which I think is a good thing, I would like to think that people are much more complex then being able to answer a few black and white questions that pay no attention to the grey area in which we live. Also, if you can really give a person your essence and what you are looking for in two paragraphs are you even looking for anything other then a person who can entertain you for two weeks?

2 comments:

  1. I especially enjoyed the accusation of me being "John's Liz".

    I told you to go walk the four miles to get ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,

    This one was not very inspiring to me either. Congrats on the promosh and sorry to see the store tagged up. Tina and I are enjoying your blog and have linked it to Sofie's blogspot in order to give you more readers. Very entertaining overall.

    Nick

    ReplyDelete